Have you seen the Pump water bottle that says “Water takes on many forms… Like the accountant who morphs into a dolphin trainer at a singles bar”?
Well here at Johnston Associates South, your Nelson and Marlborough Chartered Accountants, we never profess to be dolphin trainers… In fact we’re proud to be Chartered Accountants, we believe that we represent the changing face of accountancy!
When you’re choosing your accountant there are many attributes you should look for, but here is our list of the top 5 attributes you should expect to find.
- Honesty and Accountability – As members of the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants we adhere to the NZICA Code of Ethics, you can find out more about it HERE, but it’s fair to say that we’re straight up and honest types!
- Experience in business – Our founding members, Dean Steele and Ben Douglas both have real commercial experience; this has proved invaluable in helping our clients on their own pathways to success in business.
- An entrepreneurial spirit – How does this differ from business experience? Well it’s more of a mindset. We’re talking about an attitude and approach to thinking outside the box. Those with an entrpreneurial spirit will embrace critical questioning, innovation and strive for continuous improvement.
- Great communication skills – Accounting is a vital element within any business. Your accountant should be able to explain budgets and financial reporting in a way that you can understand it, even if you’re not a “numbers” person.
- Flexibility to change – No truer words have ever been said than “nothing stays the same”; and that is true in all walks of life, particularly business. Your business should be growing and evolving on a continual basis and your accountant should be able to help you adapt to this change and manage it.
If you’d like to find out whether our team members have these character traits, (we think we do… By the way, we’re modest too), give us a call, we can catch up over a coffee or a beer, and you can discover more about us.